[R] how to call R function from my C++ program

David Brahm brahm at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 5 20:03:51 CEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> ... You can build R as a shared library (libR.so) and link against that ...

The R Installation and Administration manual says,
  "Flag `--enable-R-shlib' [to `configure'] causes the make process to build R
  as a shared library, typically called `libR.so', and to take considerably
  longer, so you probably only want this if you will be using an application
  which embeds R."

Is there any disadvantage to using this flag, beside a longer "make" time?
Does it affect the normal running of R in any way?  I'm curious, because I'm
trying it for the first time now (with R-1.7.0).  Thanks.
--
                              -- David Brahm (brahm at alum.mit.edu)