[R] xyplot (lattice), strip.default

Wladimir Eremeev wl at eimb.ru
Tue May 6 10:23:36 CEST 2003

Dear r-help,

  I've got data of the following structure
1979  93.428747  0
1979  87.298608  20
1979  78.506340  40
1979  45.567890  340
1980  60.815289  0
1980  49.630904  20
1980  24.981362  40

The first column is year and the last one is the longitude.
I need a set of graphs showing the dependence of the middle value on
the longitude, for each year, situated one blow the other.
I.e.
1979: --...---```--``--..
1980: ...--``../``\...---
etc.

Here characters ---...---``` denote the curve.
The middle value is on the vertical axis
and the latitude is on the horizontal axis of each graph.

To do this I use xyplot function from the Lattice package:

xyplot(ac15$"value"~ac15$lon|year,data=ac15,
       type="l",
       layout=c(1,24),
       xlab="Longitude",
       as.table=TRUE,
       bg="white"
      );

But I have some problems using it.

Questions:

1. How to make xyplot to draw the year value in the strip above each
graph instead of writing the word 'year'?

2. I'd like to produce a .png file with graphs without drawing them on
the screen.

I try:
png(filename = "Rplot.png", width = 480, height = 1024, pointsize = 12,
         bg = "white");

trellis.device(device=getOption("png"),
               color = FALSE,
               bg = "white" );

xyplot.... [see above]

But I get the error message:

Error in trellis.device(device = getOption("png"), color = FALSE, bg = "white") :
        couldn't find function "device.call"

Where's the problem?

I use R 1.7.0 and Windows NT 4.0 workstation.

Thank you for attention and help!

--
Best regards
Wladimir Eremeev                                     mailto:wl at eimb.ru

Research Scientist                                Leninsky Prospect 33,
Space Monitoring & Ecoinformation Systems Sector, Moscow, Russia, 119071,
Institute of Ecology,                             Phone: (095) 135-9972;
Russian Academy of Sciences                       Fax: (095) 954-5534