[R] bitmap images in tcltk

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue May 6 20:24:10 CEST 2003

Dear R-help list members,

I'm writing a package using tcltk. Thanks to Peter Dalgaard's excellent
work on the tcltk package, almost everything has gone very smoothly. I'm
stymied, however, by the following problem:

I want to incorporate a bitmap image, stored as an xbm file, in a widget.
To take a simple example,

     top <- tktoplevel()
     tkgrid(tklabel(top, bitmap="@file.xbm", fg="red"))

will work as long as file.xbm is in the current directory; alternatively, I
could specify the path to this file. The problem is that I can't figure out
a reliable way of predicting (or discovering) where the bitmap file will
reside when my package is installed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  John