R crashes with package SJava; was [R] Memory leakage?

Hotz, T. th50 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu May 8 15:04:26 CEST 2003

Dear all,

Maybe this has something to do with R crashing?
When my R version crashes, there is Rgui.exe still
running in the background (i.e. W2K's task manager
recognises it only as a process, which apparently
is using almost 100% of the CPU).

I can reproduce that by "using" the SJava package
(from Brian Ripley's homepage, as suggested on
http://www.omegahat.org/RSJava/). When loading the
package, and running the ttest example, my Rgui.exe
crashes, and I end up with the process Rgui.exe
still alive using the CPU extensively. The same
happens on my stand-alone machine at home (with the
same OS and R versions but newest Sun JDK).

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Thomas

P.S. At the end an error message appears, but I'm not
able to sink it. I could run it in a terminal - but
are there other possibilities?

--- R code pasted into Rgui

rm(list=ls())
# see below for ouput,
# used sink to get probale error messages
# (doesn't work; can one "sink" error messages?)
sink("k:/SJavaFault.rout")
version
# load SJava
library(SJava)
library(help=SJava)
.JavaInit()
# try SJava
.Java("Math","PI")
# load example
source("d:/R/rw1062/library/SJava/examples/ttest.R")
x<-rnorm(10)
y<-rnorm(10,1)
# test example, crashes after specifying x and y in the dialog and pressing "Submit"
dialog.t.test()
# Rgui.exe still running as a process, but not an application (according to task manager)

--- Output of sink and library(help=...)

         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    1
minor    6.2
year     2003
month    01
day      10
language R
using JAVA_HOME = Y:/Java Development Kit/Java2sdk1.4/jre

[...]
Package: SJava
Version: 0.65