[R] Data-mining using R

Adaikalavan Ramasamy gisar at nus.edu.sg
Fri May 9 05:00:49 CEST 2003

Yes all of this is possible in R and more.

You might find the which() command helpful for subsetting. You could
write a simple function to automate this. For graphing  facilities, see
plot(), par(), postscript() etc.

In my opinion, it might not be worth the effort and time to save it to
MYSQL if you only want to perform a couple of queries. Plus R has
excellent graphing facilities. If you really want to automate the
process, then a combination of Perl and GNUplot seems like a good
combination. The choice depends on which software you are most
comfortable with.

Another advantage R has is that it is an interactive language. So it is
great for exploratory analysis with minimum effort (unlike Excel in
which you spend 90% of your time dragging the mouse and sorting the
data).

See the Bioconductor project, which focuses on genomic and expression
data and has many great functions specifically designed for microarray
etc. I doubt you will be able to find such vast collection of tools for
free.

Good luck.