[R] how to write text into a file

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri May 9 18:20:04 CEST 2003

Xirui Yang <xirui at cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> 1. The commands sink() and connection.output send text ouput to a text
> file. This file may be converted to a postscript format With the
> command enscript in Unix/Linux. But what is about the graphical output?
> May I add the graphical ouptut into this file? Or there will be two
> files, one for text output, one for graphical ouput?

You don't want to go there.  You REALLY do not want to go there...

> 2. Dennis and Adaikalavan have recommended the Sweave, which generates
> statistical reports dynamically in pdf format. I will check it.

This would be a better starting point (and I think, MUCH more
interesting).  I'm sure Fritz could chime in, but there are MANY
places where things could be greatly simplified, documentation
improved, interface made better, prototypes/templates constructed,
etc.  It could easily be "dumbed down" to provide what you are talking
about; the difficulty would be in documenting how to configure, as
well as figuring out the proper interfaces/approaches.

Not nearly as exciting as pulling out a keyboard and coding furiously,
but much more useful and potentially having a broader impact.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini rossini at u.washington.edu http://software.biostat.washington.edu/
Biostatistics, U Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

FHCRC:Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812)|Voicemail is pretty sketchy/use Email
UW  : Th: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286)|Change last 4 digits of phone to FAX

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments ... {{dropped}}