[R] how to upgrade R/ linux/ mandrake/ readme suggestion

Sam McClatchie s.mcclatchie at niwa.co.nz
Tue May 13 23:35:26 CEST 2003

System info:
Mandrake 9.0
R Version 1.7.0
ESS 5.1.21
Emacs 21.2.1
-------------------

Colleagues

The R-team has done a great job of making it easy to upgrade to current
versions of the R-language using the rpms for linux. I have a minor
suggestion for the readme file <Mandrake-Readme.txt> where the mandrake
linux binaries reside <http://www.cran.r-project.org/>.

The readme at the moment focusses on "BUILDING AN R RPM FOR EARLIER
VERSIONS OF MANDRAKE" (sorry about the capitals). It would be very
helpful to have a one liner near the top of the file that says something
like what follows (I've left the LaTex makup in there from my own notes).
------------------------

\subsection{Upgrading R}
First copy the /usr/lib/R/library/ somehwere safe! After
installing the new version of R, check to make sure you still
have any former user contributed packages you may have
installed. if not copy them over from the former library
directory before deleting it.

Download the
new rpm for the appropriate mandrake distribution.  Change to
root. Use the upgrade option for rpmi to install the rpm.
\begin{verbatim}
[root at smc R]# rpmi -U R-1.7.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
\end{verbatim}

--------------------
This may save some users from trying <rpmi -i R-1.7.0-1mdk.i586.rpm> and
then wondering why they get a lot of messages about conflicting file
versions from an earlier version of R.

Thanks for making upgade so easy.

Best fishes

Sam

--
Sam McClatchie, Research scientist (fisheries acoustics))))))))))
NIWA (National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd)
s.mcclatchie at niwa.cri.nz
Research home page <http://www.smcc.150m.com/>
                       /\
            >><xX(&>