[R] RODBC and SQL Server

Enos, Jeff Jeff.Enos at FMR.COM
Wed May 14 18:36:35 CEST 2003

All,

I have a set of users who are currently using RODBC on Solaris (2.6 and
up) to connect to SQL Server databases.  We use unixODBC for a driver
manager and Easysoft's ODBC-ODBC bridge underneath.  R 1.6.2 is our
standard R version.

While moving to Linux (RedHat 9) I have become eager to phase out our
use of Easysoft, but am tied to SQL Server for the time being.

I am curious as to whether others have had experience using
alternative drivers for SQL Server, such as FreeTDS (which supposedly
works with unixODBC though it speaks TDS), sitting behind RODBC on
Linux/Solaris (R 1.6.2 and up).

Many thanks,

Jeff Enos