[R] Changing default R window under XP

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 17 20:45:55 CEST 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, David Parkhurst wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.  I don't know the abbreviations SDI and MDI.

So you've never read the R for Windows README, for example?  Surely it
is reasonable to expect people to be familiar with README when they ask how
to do things?  (They are standard Windows terms, BTW.)

> However, I have just recently installed R on a new hard drive, and by
> default, it (R) does come up full screen.  That is, the middle button of the
> three in the upper right corner of its window has an icon with two windows.
> (When clicked, that puts the window in partial screen.)  If it were not full
> screen, that button would show a single window.

Yes, that's what happens, and that is what *maximized* means.  Do look
those terms up in your Windows help, to help you understand those who use
them in the standard way.

> Also, I tried right clicking on my R icon to set properties, where I thought
> I could specify command-line options like "--sdi" to see what would happen,
> but I don't see a way to do that in XP.  (I'm pretty sure I could do that in
> earlier versions of the windows OS.)

I've never seen an XP where it did not work on a shortcut.

> Also, in the Rconsole file, I changed
> the line"MDI = yes" to "MDI = no," but that didn't seem to make any
> difference that I can see.

It's in the documentation: you add --sdi to the end of the target in the
properties of the shortcut.  Changing the right Rconsole file does work

> As for recompiling, I use Fortran (90), and don't have a C compiler.

They are free, and fully documented: again, please read the documentation.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk