[R] how to construct tree under R

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 17 22:10:24 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Sat, 17 May 2003, ANA KOZOMARA wrote:

> I have a hudge problem, don't know how to deal with it...
> I'm supposed to implement a tree structure in R, without using
> rpart library...

I'm not sure what exactly you want here.  If you want to write a function
that uses some kind of algorithms on decision trees (e.g. CART) then you
will have to consult some technical books.

If you are just working on a practical problem, i.e. you have got a data
set and just want to get a tree from it, then the tree or rpart package
are two of the packages you can use (and you can consult "Modern Applied
Statistics with S" by Venables and Ripley, 2002).  I am not sure why you
do not want to use the rpart package, but the tree package has some very
good documentation which you can read and find out how to use it.

--
Cheers,

Kevin

/* Time is the greatest teacher, unfortunately it kills its students */

--
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang
Master of Science (MSc) Student