[R] Confidence intervals for gls models?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 19 08:58:07 CEST 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Spencer Graves wrote:

> What about the obvious:
>
> tstDf <- data.frame(x=1:9, y=rnorm(9), w=1:9)
> fit <- lm(y~x, tstDf, weights=w)
> pred <- predict(fit, se.fit=T)
> pred$fit + outer(pred$se.fit, c(-2, 2))
>
> "predict.lm" might need weights for interval="prediction" with newdata,
> but not with interval="confidence" ... or am I missing something?

That's weighted least squares, not generalized least squares.

predict.gls does not have an `se.fit' argument.

Howver, lm.gls in package MASS will do the trick at the existing data
points.  (To predict at newdata you would need to have a model for the
covariance matrix, and once you have that you are doing time series or
kriging or ... and there are many other possibilities.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk