Fw: [R] write.table only writes the first 256 variables/columns

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Fri May 23 17:55:08 CEST 2003

You cannot increase the column/field limit in any of the MS Office
products.

At least for the desktop MS applications (and presumably for all ODBC
based driver interactions) there is a 255 column limit in the CREATE
TABLE SQL query as part of the ODBC limitations.

A reference is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbcjetsdk_149.asp

The major changes in recent versions of Excel relative to sheet size was
to increase the number of rows, which in Excel XP (2002) is 65,536 rows
by 256 columns.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz