[R] plot output function

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 23 18:31:44 CEST 2003

I guess you forgot that lines(x,y) , contrary to  plot(x,y)
needs  *increasing* (or decreasing) `x' to make sense in your
situation.

Hence use something like

plot(x,y)
fit <- yourcoolfunction(x,y, ...)
ix <- order(x)
lines(x[ix], fit[ix], col = 2)

HTH,
Martin

    cp133> no, I'm afraid abline does not help, it works only
    cp133> for straight lines.  The output of my function is a
    cp133> vector of fitted values (called fit).  I would like
    cp133> to superimpose the fitted regression line to the
    cp133> scatterplot of the data.  Therefore, I use the
    cp133> commands "plot(x,y)"to display the scatterplot; then
    cp133> "lines(x,fit)" to add the estimated regression line.
    cp133> The graph displays the scatterplot correctly but not
    cp133> the fitted regression line.  When I use the command
    cp133> "plot(x,fit)" I get the correct regression line but
    cp133> the plot is very rough, it looks like that, instead
    cp133> of a single clear line, I get several thin lines.

    cp133> Hope this is clearer.

    cp133> Thank you,

    cp133> Chiara