[R] help output paged in separate window

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Sun May 25 11:42:27 CEST 2003

On 24-May-03 Ted Harding wrote:
> I use R in X windows on Linux.
> [...]
> Often, I would like to have the output from 'help' pop up in a separate
> window so that I can continue to work in the R window while reading the
> help. The "help" window could then be closed when interest in this
> particular help dwindles.
> [...]

Thanks to Jonathan Baron and Peter Dalgaard for private comments and help
on this question. Peter in particular pointed out that
  library(tcltk); options(pager=tkpager)
does the trick of detaching the pager from the R window exactly as
desired, with relatively small overhead (as opposed to an HTML browser
for 'help.start', or ESS: I put enough load on this 48MB laptop without
having a multimegabyte Fat Man sitting on my memory).

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 25-May-03                                       Time: 10:42:27