[R] building zip?

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon May 26 11:53:12 CEST 2003

Kurt Sys <kurt.sys at ugent.be> writes:

> I wonder, no offence to anyone, just a question, why the building
> packages stuff is not in the standard Windows installation.

It's mostly historical. We used to have this in a separate zip file
which we'd not normally require people to install -- on the premise
that there's a bunch of other stuff you need for building packages
(perl, shell tools, C compiler) anyway.

However, with the user-friendly installer, you select everythings up
front, and it has become much more difficult to add things to an
installation (why does "user-friendliness" always make something
harder?).

Since it is a tiny piece of extra baggage, I do agree that it would be
better to set it to install by default.