[R] "Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system, " RH 9, R 1.7.0-1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 26 18:17:05 CEST 2003

How did you install R?  `R-1.7.0-1' suggests a binary RPM, but we
shouldn't have to guess.

Tcl/Tk has to be present when R was configured.  My guess is that was not
so when your R was configured (I think RH8.0 and 9 by default don't have
Tcl/Tk, and never have the current 8.4.1).  In that case you need to build
R yourself: always a good idea.

It isn't clear to the rest of us what options the builders of binary RPMs
include, and it would be helpful if the summary given at the end of
configure was available on CRAN.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk