[R] Randomness

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 26 23:12:35 CEST 2003

?RNG comes with copious references, and the sources are in src/main/RNG.c.

On Tue, 27 May 2003 dcum007 at ec.auckland.ac.nz wrote:

> Hi,
> I am very new to R and cannot seem to find how it generates random numbers. I
> am currently involved with a project that requires a random number generator
> and have developed one. I am, however, unsure of just how random it is and was
> wanting to compare my generator with that of R (as well as others).
> If anyone knows how the random numbers are generated or have any ideas on
> testing or where a true pseudo-random number generator can be found I would
> love to know.

Well, there is a very extensive literature, and you don't give your
background.  I would suggest starting with either my 1987 book `Stochastic
Simulation' or Knuth's TAOCP.  The principles were worked out long ago,
and the world is in no need of yet another PRNG.  (There are far too many
that have been heavily promoted and a few years later discredited.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk