[R] Help! R won't start

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue May 27 16:23:41 CEST 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> try R --vanilla
>
> The likely story is that you have library(MASS) in the .Rprofile being
> found.  That does not work in 1.7.0 (and is not the recommended way to do
> this: see the help archives for solutions, one of which is to run
> update.packages() and get the current VR bundle).

Thanks for all the quick responses! However, I don't have library(MASS)
anywhere as far as I can tell - just the stock
/usr/lib/R/library/base/R/Rprofile which contains no such call.

Starting R from a different directory works fine. Furthermore, starting R
with --no-restore-data works fine, and I can then restore the data
manually using load(".RData").  That might provide a clue.

The data file is extremely large:

aperrin at perrin:~/afshome/papers/microcultures/R$ ls -l .RData
-rw-r--r--    1 aperrin  aperrin  104355299 May 27 10:20 .RData

which could be the problem too.

ap