[R] install-packages

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu May 29 18:11:04 CEST 2003

Dear Goran,

I've noticed this problem with recent versions of R when I've zipped an R
package for Windows using a zip utility different from the recommended
Info-Zip. If you build the package under Windows with the --binary switch,
then a usable zip file should be produced.

As an aside, I've noticed recently that packages that I build under Windows
in this manner report wrong MD5 checksums for some files when they are
installed, but seem to work fine.

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 04:01 PM 5/29/2003 +0200, Göran Broström wrote:
>When I try 'install-packages' (from menu) in R-1.7.0 (Windows), I get
>
> > install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]),
>.libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
>Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
>In addition: Warning message:
>cannot open file `eha060/DESCRIPTION'
> >
>  but it works with R-1.6.2. It also works if I manually unzip
>'eha060.zip' in the right place.
>
>'eha' is an R package written by myself, and since I intend to send it to
>CRAN soon, I'm worried that I have built it incorrectly. I usually work on
>Linux, and I built eha there. Then I copied the resulting .tar.gz file to
>a Windows 2000 machine with Ripley's tools installed and installed it by
>'Rcmd INSTALL ...'. So far, so good, everything works. Then I zipped the
>catalogue 'eha' to get 'eha060.zip', and this file doesn't work with
>'install.packages', however with 'unzip'.
>
>Is the error with me or with 1.7.0? I have seen the reports on failures
>with bundles, but 'eha' is not a bundle.

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M4