[R] hclust doesn't return merge details

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Mon Nov 3 19:54:29 CET 2003

Arne  -

I have carried out exactly your example below, and I
get hc$merge as a matrix with two columns and 15 rows.

Do  str(hc)  to see a useful representation of the
contents of the returned list.  help("hclust")  describes
this list in the section "Value:".  help("Subscript")
shows the various syntactic forms that will extract one
element from a list, but doesn't say quite as explicitly
as one might wish that  hc[["merge"]]  or  hc[[1]]  is
the way to return just element "merge" from the list.

Brian Ripley may correct me if I am wrong, but I think
there have never been 'extractor' functions for the
return value from  hclust()  as there are for  lm().

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -