[R]A matrix is full rank is equal to having independent columns?

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 3 20:56:49 CET 2003

For any matrix, the following definitions hold:

   row rank: number of linearly independent rows
column rank: number of linearly independent columns

There is a theorem stating that these 2 numbers must be the same
for any matrix, and (consequently) that number is defined as the
'rank' of the matrix.

For a matrix which has less columns than rows (as in your example), to say it
has 'full column rank' would mean that it's rank = number of columns, and so
yes, by definition all it's columns are linearly independent. I don't know if
the description 'full rank' has any concrete interpretation for such
matrices, though.

HTH.