R: [R] help with lme()

Vito Muggeo vito.muggeo at giustizia.it
Tue Nov 4 17:21:19 CET 2003

Dear Bill,
I am not a lme-expert, but I believe the Pinheiro&Bates' book is rather
clear here.

However you know that a lme model is, for instance

fixed= y~x1+x2 and random=y~x1|group

and you can fit it by ML or REML.

If you are interested in testing for x2 by means the LRT (namely by
comparing the models with and without x2) you have to fit them by  ML.

hope this helps,
best,
vito