[R] help with lme()

Pascal A. Niklaus Pascal.Niklaus at unibas.ch
Wed Nov 5 09:25:34 CET 2003

As far as I understand it, the problem is that REML accounts for the
degrees of freedom used up by fixed effects (e.g., treatments), whereas
ML does not account for these. From that perspective, REML appears to be
the "better" fitting method.

However, if you test for a fixed effect by comparing two models, one
including the fixed effect and one lacking it but otherwise identical,
then the model comparison anova(model1,model2) is invalid when you use
REML (because there is a different number of df consumed by the fixed
effects in model1 and model2), but it is valid if you use ML (because it
does not account for the df used up by the fixed effects at all).

Pascal