[R] package installation problems

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Nov 5 17:08:09 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 09:45, allan clark wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have tried to install some of the packages from the CRAN packages
> section.
>
> I am running  a windows system.
>
> I did the following: (for example...)
>
>    1.downloaded the zip file (mgcv_0.9-5.tar) from

A .tar file is not a ZIP file. It is a Unix/Linux archive file format.

Please read Windows FAQ 3.1 on installing packages under Windows.

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/rw-FAQ.html

There are several ways to install CRAN packages within the Windows GUI,
either via menus or the command line, described there.

If you should elect to download the .zip file directly from CRAN at:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/

be sure that you are in the proper R version specific directory for the
Contributed packages. You can then use the RGui menu option to install
from a local zip file.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz