[R] R for various ports of linux

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Nov 5 23:55:58 CET 2003

"Nathan Leon Pace, MD, MStat" <nlpace at remi.med.utah.edu> writes:

> To all:
>
> I currently download the R binaries for Redhat 7.x Linux.
>
> There is considerable turmoil in the vendors of Linux. Redhat
> apparently is changing it's business model to paid versions.
>
> This might motivate my department to use a different vendor of Linux.
>
> Is there anything predictable about which vendors/versions of Linux
> will have R binaries in the future?

While many people have commented on building from source, I'll state
that's fine, but it gets old after the 10,000th time.   Sure, it's
amusing, and you get a great pleasure jolt from debugging on novel
platforms and configurations, but it's not real work.

One strategy is to find a distribution where the R maintainer is
someone you trust.

I trust Doug and Dirk (and hence Debian).

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}