[R] Effects of rounding on regression

kjetil@entelnet.bo kjetil at entelnet.bo
Sat Nov 8 17:35:59 CET 2003

On 8 Nov 2003 at 10:25, Peter Flom wrote:

One reference for this is Seber (1977), "Linear Regression
Analysis",. page 158, "roundoff errors", and references therein.
(There is a new edition of this book, 02 (03?), which I haven't seen)

Synopsis: bias in \hat{\beta} does only depen on regressors which
have roundimg errors, so rounding errors in continuous variables will
not make bias in estimates for factors.
The usual variance estimate is biased upwards.

This should also be easy to investigate with simulation.

Kjetil Halvorsen