[R] "configure" options and R CMD INSTALL

Rajiv Prasad rajiv.prasad at charter.net
Mon Nov 10 19:02:00 CET 2003

Hi folks:

I am trying to install the package "rimage" in R 1.8.0 on an Alpha Linux box.
 "R CMD INSTALL rimage_0.5-1.tar.gz" fails with the following:

checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking fftw.h usability... yes
checking fftw.h presence... yes
checking for fftw.h... yes
checking jpeglib.h usability... yes
checking jpeglib.h presence... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for fftwnd_one in -lfftw... no
configure: error: Sorry, can't find fftw library. Please use --with-fftw-lib.
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rimage'
** Removing '/usr/local/R-1.8.0/lib/R/library/rimage'

I separately compiled and installed fftw-3.0.1.  The problem seems to be that
I need to provide "--with-fftw-lib" option to the configure script.  How do I
do this?

> version
         _
platform alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu