[R] relationship between two discrete variables

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Tue Nov 11 10:44:00 CET 2003

Don't use correlation for discrete variables; the
correlation coefficient does not vary freely between -1
and 1, it is tightly constrained by the joint probabilities of
nonzero outcomes in a rather counterintuitive way.
Please ask me off list if you don't follow this.

While I'm off-topic, following Tom B's comment, the only
way I know to break lines in emails using Explorer is to
actually type returns - is what I always do here and is a
pain in  the ****. If anyone knows how to overcome this
I'd be very grateful. [I don't have a choice about using
Explorer]

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}