[R] animated plot

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 11:53:10 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Jesus Fernandez Galvez wrote:

> Thanks for you comments,
>
> I am visualising 4 months time series at 30 minutes intervals so it is
> impossible to create all this set of images (*.png, *.jpg, *.bmp,…). With

That's about 4300 images, so why is it impossible to save them?  Looks
like much less than 1Gb in total.  However, is that actually useful?
At 1/sec that will take over an hour to watch the animation: what do you
hope to see?

> R, I can change the speed of visualisation but I think I would need  a
> screengrab tool to save the sequence. I manage to save as .pdf and the graph
> moves! But the file is huge. Could you please shedding some light on how to
> find screengrab tools (name of free software if possible)

I used Snagit, which is not free (and my movie had 100 frames).  But do
ask your computing questions of your local computing support -- I ask my
engineering collaborators who do this sort of thing all the time.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk