[R] Test for new page

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Wed Nov 12 00:08:15 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 16:49, Paul Murrell wrote:
> Hi
>

> Aleksey Naumov wrote:
> > Dear R experts,
> >
> > I am writing a multi-page PDF file and would like to put a header on each
> > page. Is there a way to test a graphic device to see if a new page is started
> > (so that I know when to write the header)?
>

> Sorry.  Not that I can think of.
>
> Paul
>

> > I could simply count the plots made (each page has the same number of plots),
> > but wanted to see if a more general solution is available.

I was trying to think of a way but could not either.

You may be best served by:

1. Generating your plots as EPS files and then import them into your
favorite page layout/document processing application to format your
pages and associated text. Under Linux you could then print the document
to a PS file and then convert to PDF using ps2pdf. A few more steps, but
greater flexibility.

2. Consider using SWeave, which enables you to combine the power of R's
output and LaTeX together. Here is a link where there is a FAQ and
associated documentation:

http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/

HTH,

Marc Schwartz