[R] HMisc describe -- error with dates

Frank E Harrell Jr feh3k at spamcop.net
Wed Nov 12 01:32:02 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:28:24 -0500
tmurph6 at po-box.mcgill.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use HMisc describe on a data frame. I have specified
> certain variables as dates using, for example:
>
> df1$aidsdate       <- dates(aidsdate,format="day.mon.year",
> origin=c(month = 1, day = 1, year = 1960))
>
> When I use describe on the dataframe I get this error:
>
> Error in Ops.dates(weights, x) : * not defined for chron objects
>
> Has anyone had this problem? I had used the same method with an older
> version of R and HMisc and it worked.
>
> Should be be formatting date variables differently?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Sincerely,
> Tanya Murphy

In recent versions, describe for R recognizes date/times by one of the
following classes: 'POSIXt','POSIXct','chron'.  If you really need to use
another date format I could be talked into extending the code for that if
you can remind me where dates( ) is found.  -Frank

---
Frank E Harrell Jr    Professor and Chair            School of Medicine
                      Department of Biostatistics    Vanderbilt University