[R] trouble in setting jpeg a large size

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 12 06:26:37 CET 2003

What exactly do you not understand about this? Almost certainly Windows
refused to create a 480x65526 bitmap, and it looks as if dimensions of
bitmaps are limited to 2^15-1.

The mind boggles as to what you actually wanted to do with such a wierd
aspect ratio.  For a more normal aspect ratio you will run out of memory:
for example a 10000 pixel square bitmap is 380Mb and you will need at
least 2 copies.  My 512Mb system failed to create that.

Have you tried bitmap()?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk