[R] RMySQL & couldn't find function ".valueClassTest"

Arend P. van der Veen apv at capital.net
Wed Nov 12 19:36:32 CET 2003

I compile MySQL from source and do have the client libraries installed
(I can run mysql from a terminal)  However, I was able to compile RMySQL
by:

# export PKG_CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/mysql/include"
# export PKG_LIBS="-L/opt/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient"
# R CMD INSTALL RMySQL_0.5-2.tar.gz

Now I am having the problem that was mentioned at

http://stat.bell-labs.com/RS-DBI/download/index.html

with

> m <- dbDriver("MySQL")
> Error in dbDriver("MySQL") : couldn't find function ".valueClassTest"

One of the solutions was to patch R 1.8.0.  I downloaded R-release.diff.gz but I am not
sure what to do with it.  Does anybody know of any documentation that can
guide me ?

Thanks again,
Arend van der Veen