[R] Installing packages

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Nov 14 12:37:50 CET 2003

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at medanalytics.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:18, Nathan Leon Pace, MD, MStat wrote:
> > Running under Redhat 7.3 Linux I have installed R Version 1.8.0
> > (2003-10-08) from a binary download using the rpm manager.
> >
> > Using packageStatus(), I am attempted to upgrade several packages.
> >
> > This is unsuccessful with the following error messages:
> >
> > * Installing *source* package 'MASS' ...
> > ** libs
> > gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
> > -mieee-fp  -fPIC  -O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce -g -c MASS.c -o MASS.o
> > gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory
> > make: *** [MASS.o] Error 1
> > ERROR: compilation failed for package 'MASS'
> >
> > gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113) is installed.
> >
> > I have checked the R archives and FAQ and admin manual for help.
> >
> > My knowledge of c compiling is limited.
> >
> > Any pointers for debugging this problem would be appreciated.
> >
> > Nathan
>

> Not sure if you have received any other replies yet, but it appears that
> you may be getting bitten by the infamous Red Hat 7.x gcc 2.96 problem.
> Without getting into details, this is a known issue with this version of
> gcc that was improperly released by RH.
>
> The "official" note on this issue from gnu.org is here:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html
>
> To my knowledge RH released updates to that version, but I believe that
> the only "real" fix is to either revert to gcc 2.95.x or upgrade to a
> version 3.x series release.
>
> Martyn Plummer, the RH maintainer for R may have more detailed
> information on this and I am cc'ing him on this reply.

Hmm, the symptoms don't quite usually look like that, and most of them
got fixed in the 2.96-N releases where N was somewhere in the 80's
IIRC. This claims to be an installation error where the preprocessor
cpp0 is not found, so my first try would be to go look for it, i.e. (on
RH8)

$ locate cpp0
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/tradcpp0
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/cpp0

It seems to live in the cpp package,

$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/cpp0
cpp-3.2-7

so

rpm -V cpp

should help you check your installation.