[R] calculating arc length using R?

Ravi Varadhan rvaradha at jhsph.edu
Fri Nov 14 18:44:17 CET 2003

Hi:

If your curve is in a 2-dim plane, then you can use the following
formula (in Tex notation):

\int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (\frac{df}{dx})^2} dx

So you need to take the derivative of your function first, and then
compute the integral of sqrt(1 + deriv^2) from a to b.

Here is a simple code to find the arclength of the curve: sin(x),
between -pi and pi.
##########################
arclen <- function(gexp, a, b) {
g <- function(x) { }