[R] spatial modeling

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 14 23:14:21 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Jill Caviglia-Harris wrote:

> I am new to R and have a question about spatial econometrics.  I have
> noticed that you can easily test for spatial autocorrelation with the
> spdep package, but was wondering if any code has been written to correct
> for spatial autocorrelation?   Or if there is any literature on this?

There are some comments in Robert Haining's 2003 book "Spatial Data
Analysis", Cambridge University Press, both for modelling in general
terms, and for degrees of freedom correction. His bibliography is very
extensive, and will repay study. There is some code for so-called
simultaneous autoregressive models in spdep, for those and conditional
autoregressive models in the S-PLUS Spatial Stats module, and some Matlab
code at www.spatial-econometrics.com. But I'd think looking through
Haining's book would be the place to start. Please report back if you find
some worthwhile ideas, possibly via the R-sig-geo list (access via
http://sal.agecon.uiuc.edu/csiss/RgeoatSAL.html)

Roger