[R] A suggestion regarding multiple replies

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Nov 15 01:16:48 CET 2003

      Replying to all also notifies everyone else that an answer has
been provided to the questioner.  I believe that replies to the
originator do not go to the archives, which make it harder for someone
else with essentially that question to get an answer from "search".  The
number of multiple responses could be reduced dramatically if this
listserve did not have such a long delay.  However, I presume the
primary obstacle to that may be budget constraints at the Swiss Federal
Institute of Technology in Zurich (ethz.ch).  I'm happy to have the
service, and I don't have the resources to help upgrade ETHZ's server,
so I don't complain.

      Besides I read this list like I read a newspaper:  There is no
need to read every reply.  People concerned about the volume can
subscribe to the daily digest.

      Briefly, I like the system as it is.

      spencer graves