[R] ISOdate() and strptime()

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Sat Nov 15 07:17:02 CET 2003

Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Simon Fear wrote:
>
>>Is the behaviour of ISOtime() and strptime() determined by ISO
>>or POSIX standard? Seems not to fit R's "no nannying" policy
>>at all.
>>

> It's determined by your operating system, so you're complaining to the
> wrong people.

And since R is written to be portable across multiple OSs, you might get
an idea how tricky this becomes.  Hence the "iron fist" approach to date
handling.  Believe me, I've programmed date handling - it's always a
terrible, nasty, messy business when international locales and different
operating systems clash.  I'm stunned it's as good as it is, subtle
traps and all.

Cheers

Jason