[R] R and RS232-Interface?

Sean O'Riordain seanpor at acm.org
Sat Nov 15 08:44:28 CET 2003

Hi,

Personally, I would avoid Java for hardware handling - in my experience
this is tricky and very hardware specific.

Sascha, is this for a Unix type machine or under windows?  If under
Unix/Linux, it should not be  particularly difficult to send characters
and receive characters in C through a plain rs-232 port - though I don't
have any code examples for you.  Just open the relevant /dev/cua0 (or
whatever it is called on your machine) in character mode and treat it
like a file.

cheers,
Sean