[R] Newbie: Barchart Gray with White Grid?

Adaikalavan RAMASAMY ramasamya at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Sun Nov 16 15:42:35 CET 2003

The examples in help(hist) and help(barplot) uses the argument col='gray' etc to set the color of the barplots/histograms. As for grids, the following may help

tN <- table(Ni <- rpois(100, lambda=5))
r <- barplot(tN, col="gray", xaxt="n")          # alternatively  hist(Ni, col="gray", freq=T)
abline( h=seq(0,max(tN), by=5), col="white" )

To turn off the numeric labels, use xaxt="n" option in the plot() command. You can try to set the background using the bg="blue". This and more options are documented in par().