[R] sampling without repetition

Rajarshi Guha rxg218 at psu.edu
Tue Nov 18 04:42:25 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:31, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2003 20:07:08 -0500, you wrote:
>

> >Sorry about that. I wanted to select 3 disjoint sets from a supplied
> >vector of numbers. My initial example had
> >
> >r <- 1:300
> >
> >but there is no guarantee that r will contain a consecutive sequence of
> >numbers.
>
> It's still not clear whether the 3 sets should be of fixed size or
> random size, and whether they should cover all of r or just part of
> it.  Thomas' solution gave you a random partition.  If you just want 3
> non-overlapping samples, each of size n, then do something like:

Sorry for not providing all the details.

The 3 sets can be of any size (which will be specified by the user of
the function) and cover all of r (ie, set1 + set2 + set3 == r)

Thanks to everybody for all the solutions.

Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE