[R] Looking for recommendations for optimal memory settings

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 06:52:13 CET 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Busch, Joe wrote:

> We have a Windows 2000 operating system and I need to configure the
> workstations.  What are your recommendations for users with very large data
> sets (300Mb)?  The systems are Dell GX240s with 512 Mbs of Ram.  What
> command line or environment variables work best?

The default ones.  Just add another 1.5Gb of RAM and then consider
using --max-mem-size, the only setting that will make any real difference.
(The next minor version of R, probably 1.9.0, will make better use of 2Gb
under Windows than the current one, so you may want to compile up
pre-releases of that.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk