[R] Fwd: License Agreement

Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 18 09:01:26 CET 2003

>>>>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:01:17 -0500,
>>>>> Sigrid Volko (SV) wrote:

  > Dear Mr. Leisch,

[don't know why you assume that I'm behind r-help ... but anyway ...

  > I was asked by one of our faculty members at Johns Hopkins University to =
  > assist him in licensing a software application that he has developed. This =
  > package is based on R, the statistical software that is distributed as =
  > freeware. In the course of my due diligence analysis, I reviewed the =
  > official R web page which states that R is an official part of the Free =
  > Software Foundation's GNU project. However, it does not explicitly state =
  > under which License Agreement R is made available. Reviewing the GNU =
  > official web page, I assume that R is made available under the GNU General =
  > Public License. I would, however, appreciate if you could confirm that =
  > this information is correct.=20

I think the web page clearly states that R is indeed distributed under
the terms of the GPL ... and if you use R you get a pointer to the GPL
every time you start it.

                        Friedrich Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch