[R] Installing RXlisp

Luca Scrucca luca at stat.unipg.it
Wed Nov 19 15:09:51 CET 2003

Dear R users,

I was trying to install the package RXLisp by Duncan Temple Lang on a MDK
9.1 Linux machine running R 1.8.0 installed from a RPM.
Unfortunately I had a problem loading the shared library into R. Since
I'm a Linux newbie I was not able to solve the problem. Maybe some of
you can help me.

First of all I downloaded the source archive for Xlisp-Stat and
for the RXlisp package. Then, as root, and from /root/ diretory I type the
following commands:

> tar zxvf xlispstat-3-52-18.tar.gz
> tar xzvf RXLisp_0.3-1.tar.gz
> cd RXLisp/xlisp/
> export XLISP_SRC_DIR=/root/xlispstat-3-52-18
> ./install

The compilation was OK, and the file /root/xlispstat-3-52-18/libxlisp.so
was created. Then

> cd
> R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='--with-build-xlisp-dll' RXLisp

OK this as well, except for a warning on a .Rd file.

> cp xlispstat-3-52-18/libxlisp.so /usr/lib
> /sbin/ldconfig
R> library(RXLisp)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/usr/lib/R/library/RXLisp/libs/RXLisp.so":
  libRXLispConverters.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
Error in library(RXLisp) : .First.lib failed
R> system("ls /usr/lib/R/library/RXLisp/libs/RXLisp.so")
/usr/lib/R/library/RXLisp/libs/RXLisp.so
R> system("ls -l /usr/lib/R/library/RXLisp/libs/RXLisp.so")
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        52784 Oct 28 15:50
/usr/lib/R/library/RXLisp/libs/RXLisp.so

I'm a bit confused; the file /usr/lib/R/library/RXLisp/libs/RXLisp.so does
exist, but it seems it can't be loaded. Maybe, the problem is not there.

Do you have any clue of what's going on and how can I fix the problem ?

I hope to be able to install the RXLisp package, I loved the dynamic
graphics capabilities of Xlisp-Stat and it would be very nice to have them
available within R.

Thank you very much for your help.

Luca

| Dr. Luca Scrucca                                                      |
| Dipartimento di Scienze Statistiche      tel. +39 - 075 - 5855278     |
| Università degli Studi di Perugia        fax. +39 - 075 - 5855950     |
| Via Pascoli - C.P. 1315 Succ. 1                                       |
| 06100 PERUGIA  (ITALY)                                                |
| E-mail:   luca at stat.unipg.it                                          |
| Web page: http://www.stat.unipg.it/luca                               |