[R] X11/ graphics problem

Stephen Henderson s.henderson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 15:47:49 CET 2003

Hello

I'm moving from using R 1.8 for Windows to using Linux (Redhat version 9)
and I cannot get any graphics. However everything else maths, models
equations is fine-- and much quicker. I built from the source file following
the commands in the install manual.

>plot(1:10, 1:10)

does nothing! So clearly I have a problem with X Windows.

> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11    GNOME     libz http/ftp  sockets
   FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE    FALSE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  libxml     fifo   cledit  IEEE754    bzip2     PCRE
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

I'm guessing from manuals etc that X11 is the problem. I've tried starting R
with

R --gui='X11'

but to no avail!

I've also had a look at the requirements under R/bin/linux/redhat/9/i386--
but I'm having some trouble mapping these to the gui installation names,
though Xfree86 which I presume contains libX11.so.6 is installed. This
document also mentions preference for 'gnorpm'. Whats that?

Has anyone else had this problem? have an idea what is likely missing? or
how to reconfigure R?