[R] Compiling R 1.8.x under Solaris 9

Emmanuel Paradis paradis at isem.univ-montp2.fr
Wed Nov 19 18:50:33 CET 2003

Dear all,

I am trying to compile R-1.8.0 and R-1.8.1-beta (as 19-11-2003) under
Solaris 9 using the Sun compilers. './configure' fails; the last lines of
the display are:

checking whether we can compute C Make dependencies... yes, using cc -M
checking whether cc supports -c -o FILE.lo... yes
checking how to get verbose linking output from f77... -v
checking for Fortran 77 libraries...  -L/usr/local/lib -R/opt/SUNWspro/lib
-L/opt/SUNWspro/lib -L/opt/SUNWspro/WS6/lib
  -L/usr/ccs/lib -L/usr/lib -lF77 -lM77 -lsunmath -lm -lcx
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... lower case, underscore, no
extra underscore
checking whether f77 appends underscores to external names... yes
checking whether mixed C/Fortran code can be run... configure: WARNING:
cannot run mixed C/Fortan code
configure: error: Maybe check LDFLAGS for paths to Fortran libraries?

I have tried to set LDFLAGS to different values but with no success. I have
looked in the archives but found no solution. Is there a problem with the
Solaris compilers? (Others seem to have rather used GCC under Solaris 9.)
Any help will be appreciated.

Emmanuel Paradis