[R] Windows R 1.8.0 hangs when Mem Usage >1.8GB

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Nov 19 20:42:52 CET 2003

      S-Plus has a similar "feature".  I once had a simulation that ran
for months.  I programmed the simulator to store intermediate results
using "synchronize" and issue progress reports from which I could tell
how fast it was running.  Every day or two, I would kill S-Plus and
restart from the last "synchronize".  I don't know the equivalent in R.

      Is it feasible to compute in advance how big the object will
ultimately be and then break it up into appropriately sized chunks and
do those separately?

      hope this helps.  spencer graves