[R] file not found?

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Thu Nov 20 03:27:54 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 20:27, Kenneth Cabrera wrote:
> Hi R maintainers:
>
> when I use
>  update.packages()
>
> And I try to update the package "maps"
>
> maps :
>  Version 2.0-9 in D:/rw1080/library
>  Version 2.0-10 on CRAN
> Update (y/N)?  y
>
> The following message appears:
>
> trying URL
> `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/maps_2.0-10.zip'
> Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
>         cannot open URL
> `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/maps_2.0-10.zip'
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open: HTTP status was `404 Not Found'
>
> All the rest of packages work fine.
>
> I use R 1.8.0 on W2K platform.
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> Kenneth

You might want to read through:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/

Version 2.0-10 was just posted to CRAN on 2003-11-13. It is possible
that the process to generate the Windows zip file has not yet completed
or there is a problem with the package not passing Rcmd check.

Hence the R 1.8.0 Windows version of the file is not yet on the site,
which is why you are getting the error.

The new version is on CRAN for R 1.7.x dated 14-Nov-2003, thus it may be
that there is an issue with the package under 1.8.0. that requires
resolution by the package maintainer.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz