[R] reading data rows

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang kwan022 at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 20 20:08:25 CET 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, forkusam wrote:

> to carry out mathematical calculations
>
> I have a a file  of the form
> mu1	mu2	alpha	beta	Wsigma sigmaA  b  r
> 25	15	.05	.05	22	 3	  .3	.5
> 30	20	.1	.2	22	.3	  .3	.5
>
>  I intend to read one row , carry out the calculations
> and then the next row with which I intend to do the
> same calculations.
> I do the following.
> p<-read.table(file="eingabe.csv", header=TRUE,sep=";")
>
> data.frame(as.numeric(mu1<-p$mu1),as.numeric(mu2<-p$mu2),
>
> as.numeric(alpha<-p$alpha),as.numeric(beta<-p$beta),
>
> as.numeric(Wsigma<-p$Wsigma),as.numeric(sigmaA<-p$sigmaA),as.numeric(b<-p$b),as.numeric(r<-p$r))

Is there any particular reason why you want to do this data.frame() line?
To me it seems redundant.  Each column is already in numeric/vector form,
I believe.

> Error in uniroot(function(n) eval(p.body) - power,
> c(2, 1e+07)) :
>         invalid function value in 'zeroin'
> In addition: Warning message:
> the condition has length > 1 and only the first
> element will be used in: if (f(lower, ...) * f(upper,
> ...) >= 0) stop("f() values at end points not of
> opposite sign")

What kind of mathematical calculations were you trying to do when you got
this error message?  As discussed off-list last night, since you want to
operate on each row using the same operation, have you tried using
apply()?

--
Cheers,

Kevin

"Try not.  Do, do!  Or do not.  There is no try"
   Jedi Master Yoda

----
Ko-Kang Kevin Wang
Master of Science (MSc) Student