[R] speeding up a pairwise correlation calculation

Adaikalavan RAMASAMY ramasamya at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Fri Nov 21 06:54:35 CET 2003

You probably want to use runif() instead of rnorm() for equal
probability of selecting between i,j

Your algorithm is of order n^2 [ 294 choose 2, 293 choose 2, ... ], so
it should not be too slow. But two for() loops are inefficient in R.
Something like this should be fairly fast in C.

What is you aim in trying to do this ? Your algorithm is similar to
hclust() - which has nice graphical support - but it merges two nearest
neighbour to find another centroid instead of removing one of the
neigbours. By removing columns early in stage you are losing
information.

The alternative would be to use hclust(), select a
similarity/dissimilarity cutoff to create groups. Then from each group
you can either choose the average profile or randomly select one column
to represent the group.

--
Adaikalavan Ramasamy